Booker, Warren Support Medicare-for-All

Mr. Robot

Administrator
Staff member
Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In addition to Booker, Democratic Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Kamala Harris (Calif.) are supporting Sanders's legislation.

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) also announced his support on Monday.

This is very good news!

Great to see this rolling forward, but until someone has the political balls to announce how they are going to pay for it (i.e. raising taxes) it is nothing but political theater.

If we put a 20% tariff on imports from the slave-wage countries, that would pay for it. That would raise $400 billion a year. And it would force a lot of industry back to the US, providing high-paying jobs.

But what are the odds of that happening? Globalists pay for our election. We are doomed. Doomed!

If we put a 20% tariff on imports from the slave-wage countries, that would pay for it. That would raise $400 billion a year.

Assuming they wanted to pay it and not just sell elsewhere. And before you start, there are other markets.

#4 Yes. I want them to sell it elsewhere, so that factories come back to the US, the middle-class is re-invigorated, welfare spending goes down, and internal tax revenue goes up.

How can you not see the advantages of ditching globalization and going back to the old American System?

How can you not see the advantages of ditching globalization and going back to the old American System?

Mostly my problem with that is the "old American system" was based on almost all of Europe and Asia's manufacturing capacity having been bombed into junk during WWII.

It took decades for them to recover, but now they are back. And their workers for the most part are willing to work cheap, making cheap junk for American consumers.

Are American consumers willing to pay the prices demanded by American workers to build cheap junk products?

I do not know.

#6 No, I'm talking about the American System, as it was called in the 1800's, when tariffs protected our manufacturing so that it grew rapidly and turned America into a powerhouse. Don't you remember professors talking the American System in college history class?

Here's a wiki link for you: en.wikipedia.org(economic_plan)

Oh. Wait. Yer Canadian. I forgot. My bad. That's why you don't know. Did Canada ever have protectionism?

Don't you remember professors talking the American System in college history class?

No, but I've pretty much forgotten the Magna Carta as well.

"America" wasn't a powerhouse until WWII. Huge industrial capacity, no actual enemy attacks. Huge advantage.

And I'm going to bed... work and all in the am.

"#6 No, I'm talking about the American System, as it was called in the 1800's, when tariffs protected our manufacturing so that it grew rapidly and turned America into a powerhouse."

Tariffs didn't protect US industries. Oceans did that. Just like they protected the US from foreign adversaries. The most recent instance where Tariffs were implemented as a means of achieving the goals you describe, it had the result of extending and exacerbating the great depression. See Smoot-Hawley.

It took decades for them to recover, but now they are back. And their workers for the most part are willing to work cheap, making cheap junk for American consumers.
Are American consumers willing to pay the prices demanded by American workers to build cheap junk products?
I do not know.

#6 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2017-09-11 10:18 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

You can afford to work cheap when you don't have to pay off tens of thousands of college loans or pay $1600 per month for health insurance and have cheap mass transit everywhere.

4 to 8 years of proposing a bill that has zero chance to pass.

It'll be cynically funny when they actually get into power again and this is dropped like a bad habit.